Monday, April 1, 2013

Training Summary 25 - 31 March

So last week the wife and I started officially training for our "A" race...tentatively planned for September 14 of this year.  I've been inconsistent (my nice way of saying slacking) on my running since completing my first 50 miler at Cactus Rose last October.  My highest monthly mileage since Cactus was 150 miles, and that was done in March (greatly assisted by running a 50k at Nueces March 2).  I ran six days last week, getting a bit over 53 miles done.  My coach also changed up my, and the wife's, track work...starting to focus more on longer speed intervals.  We do track work every Tuesday, and we both had 4 x 1 mile repeats - I was allowed 400 meter recovery, while my wife was given an 800 meter recovery.  Given it was my first time - ever - doing mile repeats, I had no idea what kind of pace to set or how hard to push each mile.  Our goal at track is to work on turnover and be consistent, and my biggest goal for the mile repeats was to at least keep them (relatively) the same, or at, best case, do each on faster than the last.  I didn't run the repeats on the track; we have a good road area to run, and running a mile on the road always feels shorter than running a mile on the track.  Before I started the repeats, I kept telling myself that you have four to complete, so don't be all stupid and use all your energy on the first one or two, manage the effort, and be consistent.  I went off on the first one and did 7:31, pretty good, I thought, and right about the right pace for me.  Started and finished the second repeat...7:31.  Pretty cool, I thought, but not really paying it any mind.  Third repeat...another 7:31.  Well, then...out pops my OCD, telling me you gotta run the last one in 7:31 or it's gonna keep you up all night.  So, even though I was starting to feel the first three, I just told myself one more mile, and set off...and, sure enough, another 7:31.  I was pretty satisfied with the workout, considering my lack of consistency, but when I think about where I was pre-Cactus Rose, I have a lot of work ahead of me.  Thursday is our tempo run day, and we both had 3 x 2 mile repeats, with the same goal of maintaining a steady pace throughout the work.  Having run this workout every other week last summer and fall, I felt very good about managing the work and getting it done.  I finished the workout, averaging about a 7:45 pace for each two mile set.  Again, satisfied with the steady pace I achieved, but still light years from where I was last year.  I had every intention of running Friday (it's easy/recovery day), but the previous four days of running had me worn out, so decided to take a rest day.  Saturday we did eight miles on trail at Government Canyon, which is a beautiful state natural area.  The trails run the gamut from runnable dirt to very technical, rocky terrain.  We didn't hit the extremely technical portions, but it was fairly challenging.  I felt we kept a nice, easy pace...was able to talk with our running partners for virtually the entire run.  However, I felt the toll on Sunday when attempting to do my long run at McAllister park.  My plan had me down for 16 miles, and I just didn't have the energy or juice to get it done.  I slogged out ten miles, and felt worn out when we finished.  I'm going to give myself a mulligan for that long run, but we can't afford to cut the long runs short if we want to reach our goals.  I think/believe we have time to prepare, as long as are patient and consistent.  Until next week...stay running, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment